Saturday, November 28, 2009

Movember - facial hair for a cause

Lance Armstrong Foundation (laf.org) and Prostate Cancer Foundation (pcf.org) have an event each November (or Movember, mo being short for mustache or in French and in the Queen's English moustache).

According to the wikipedia article (linked above), Movember has been around since 2004.

The idea is to start November cleanly shaven and grow a moustache during the month. Friends and colleagues will likely ask if you're growing one, why, etc. which is a good way to bring up the event and raise awareness. The official site logs donations and there are prizes for the most donations. I have no fear of coming close to prizes but I wanted to participate.

I let my moustache grow in and didn't shave it until I was 33. So knowing I can grow one (and also having grown a full grizzly beard in 5 weeks in 2006 pretending to be Iraqi Police in a Marine training exercise) I thought maybe if just a couple of people hear about it, think about the problem, tell a friend or two, then the snowball effect begins.

There will also be events and local competitions. Some with the chance to go to an event where Lance Armstrong will be.

Here's my profile page on the US site http://us.movember.com/mospace/346240.

There's an app on facebook to help make a time-lapse of the moustache growth. The intro video wasn't working until the day before so I didn't try to use it, plus my laptop isn't stationary (for once). I've taken webcam pics and posted some progress on my profile. I've taken pics with a tripod camera but they will likely be too dissimilar to make a time lapse.

If you can grow facial hair, or think you might be able to by next November (or Movember) we need all the help we can get "to change the face of men's health."