Thursday, November 19, 2009

Facebook Viral SPAM

I got a notification on FaceBook today that someone had sent me a MultiMedia Message.

As usual, some crApp had to be loaded so somebody can get some advertisement money.

After adding the app, a notice says that I have to click the link. Since I already play MafiaWars I clicked the link. Then it says my message moved and to install another app that was very similar.

The first app sent 1 friend a notice, the same one I had received.

The second app sent about 6 friends the same notice. One friend also had the app installed, not the one who "sent" it to me.

HERE's WHAT TO DO:

1) If you get a notice like this, ask your friend if they sent something before clicking.

2) If you do click and it sends friends a notice:

--------Open the small Notifications tab on the bottom right.
--------Click "See All"
--------Hover over Notice you did not send.
--------Click the X to close/delete.
--------Select I DID NOT PERFORM THE ACTION THAT SENT...
--------Click Report and Delete app.

Hopefully reporting SPAMmers will help keep them off.

Does FaceBook not have an approval process for apps???

Sadly these SPAMmers will make ad money from doing this.




Also DON'T click on advertisements (which might look like a legitimate Windows notice) reporting that you need AntiVirus. These are Virus and Malware programs themselves. Only load authenticated security programs.

Microsoft's website even recommends some free versions. Watch those because it might be a trial period. Most security programs act a bit like viruses monitoring system level actions. (I currently use Commodo's free version for what that's worth.)