Monday, July 6, 2009

Twitter Fodder

The new age of narcissism continues to grow. As regular people get more and more followers through odd, spammy, or normal means, it seams to go to their head. Suddenly it validates that x thousand people must really want to follow me playing a game of 'who can tweet the most times in one hour' or other ridiculous drivel.

There's been a blog article naming types of tweeps (twitter peeps, or twitter people). It's odd how these get generated and propagated by those falling into the "negative" categories. The above vanity, RT every reply to everyone because everyone must want them, RT everything that pops up in your stream (following thousands of people).

The ranking analytics, are you kidding me? Now they have SO much more bloated egos. Not only that, some claim to be all about sharing and caring and instruct everyone on propper use of #FollowFriday so that it COUNTS. That's hardly all about caring or sharing. That's about getting themselves in the top of analytic lists to validate that they are ELITE.

Maybe it works a bit for building self-esteem and getting a lot of ELITE and celebs to RT and advertise for them. One of the negative tweep types is people who only seem to care while self-promotion is their true agenda.

So all SPAM is not created equally. We also have people posting, mostly automated, every single song they add to a "dj" playlist. Again assuming if someone follows them that they must want 12 posts in a row with song links.

One nice thing about twitter is that you can Unfollow people with inconsiderate tweeting habits. The Golden Rule (found in many disparate religions) of treating others as you would want to be treated totally escapes some.

OK I have a little OCD tendency and contests bring out the worst in me and I'll tweet constant nonsense. I tend to do that in the middle of the night when hardly anyone is online. Then they might not ever see those tweets. I considered opening a separate account for those type things but technically I think that violates the TOS, though so many people do it that aren't SPAMmers in the traditional sense that it is almost commonplace.

I may have lost people doing those. I will have to ignore and/or limit from now on thinking of my followers. Those doing contests encouraging SPAM are likely violating TOS.

We need tools to filter out repeated autotweets. It's just absurd. Some might have a reason if spaced out enough time. Some tweeps have multiple FollowFriday instruction tweets that go out several times every Friday, repeatedly. Right now our only option seems to be Unfollow.

All or nothing. No middle ground. It's like a bull-headed partisan divide.

I'll sign off with my name in case someone tries to auto-steal my post. Channing H.