Thursday, July 23, 2009

We Are All One

We don't realize it and try to ignore it but anything you do to someone else, you're doing to everyone including yourself.

We see news stories and have a detached sympathy. Some people have a dissociative, emotionless apathy to it. We get desensitized to all the bad that's OUT THERE that it doesn't affect us.

We tune it out like it's just a TV show or movie.

Henry Louis Gates, Jr. who is a Harvard professor was arrested for "breaking in" to his own home.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2009/07/harvard.html

I thought it was bad. I don't know the whole circumstance. Maybe he should have called police before trying to get in his own home like people get help when locked out of their cars.

I imagine he didn't think it was a police issue, and that officers were better serving the public elsewhere.

I saw an interview on CBS Early Show with Elizabeth Gates, his daughter. When I realized that I knew her from when I lived in California and we took an acting class together (5 nights a week for 4 weeks), I got chills.

It was so much more personal when I actually knew the daughter of the arrested professor.

It should not have to be someone we know directly affected by things before we really care.

We should be able to put ourselves in other people's "shoes" without having to pretend it is a friend or relative in pain.

We are all connected and simply treating others as we would want to be treated, how far away is that to be in majority?

Channing H.