Thursday, June 18, 2009

Will the Real Requirements Please Stand Up

I got a used PowerMac for hopes of using it to try my hand at iPhone development. I waited too long to get into it.

So when I get ramped up, it turns out that I need OS X.5.6. So I buy that OS which requires an Intel Mac 867MHz or greater. Turns out the dual 512MHz that I had will not load that OS. If used parallel at all, the total 1GHz would be faster as two parallel processors. Nonetheless it would not install.

I bought another used mac. This one is over 1GHz on a single processor. So it will load the OS. I connect it via ethernet to the internet and there is an update to OS 10.5.7 which is thankfully free.

So I had to buy the SDK for OS 3.0 which all apps are required to work on even before OS 3.0 released. Once you have paid for it, the new SDK now requires 10.5.7 so luckily I already had it. Then running the install in the package, the SDK option is not enabled.

There are packages that will install separately but where to put them and how many hoops to jump through to use them from somewhere other than where they are expected to be. Will Apple actually let them be used if not installed from their failure of an install program.