Thursday, April 23, 2009

PC Mac

I think I've already said how annoying it is that Apple has gone to Intel processors (PCs) yet require their OS to run on an Apple branded machine. They need to catch up with the times because IBM lost the clone war over 20 years ago and it's the same issue. Besides, what part of anti-trust and free enterprise do they not understand?

I didn't jailbreak my phone, after all it's already a refurb so who knows what problems I'd run into, and I'd have to be 10x as careful loading apps. I didn't try to get a hack patch to load my legal copy of MacOS 10.5.6 Leopard on Vista as dual boot, even though it can generally be done.

The used mac I bought a little over a year ago isn't up to date enough to run the latest MacOS, which requires 867MHz processor or better. The used mac I have has TWO 512MHz processors. Do the math, that's 1024MHz total (or 1GHz), and if the OS actually uses them in parallel it's faster with the two.

I haven't gone back to reading the SDK documentation yet but there's plenty of it to waste time while deciding whether to buy another used intel mac or see if I can replace the processor in the one I've got.